How to make a one skillet meal – Potatoes and dogs
If you are pressed for time and want a quick and easy meal that the kids will love, you should try this one.
My family loves this and asks for it frequently. I don’t eat eggs so I just take mine out before I add them.
- 3-4 medium potatoes
- 5 hot dogs or 1/2 of a Polska Kiebasa
- 3 eggs
- your favorite seasonings
- large skillet
- Hoagie rolls (optional)
Wash potatoes and peel them if your family insists on them being peeled…. mine does, sigh
Cut them up like you would for fried potatoes (quartered then sliced)
Pour a small amount of Olive or other Cholesterol free oil into your skillet and heat on medium-high.
When the oil is hot enough, add the potatoes and season to taste.
Stir them frequently to prevent burning.
Continue to cook until the potatoes are nicely browned
(Optional, Add some diced onion and garlic to the potatoes and stir till they begin to cook before continuing with this step.)
Slice hot dogs into 1/4 inch slices and add to the fried potatoes
Continue to allow this to cook until the hot dogs begin to swell.
If using Kiebasa instead of hot dogs you will want to quarter them lengthwise before slicing since they are so thick.
Break the eggs into a bowl, add a small amount of milk and whisk together until smooth.
Pour the scrambled egg mixture over the dogs and potatoes and continue to stir and cook until the egg is done.
Once they are done I like to sprinkle a little Paprika over the skillet for some color.
Tips & Warnings
- slice open and slightly hollow out the Hoagie rolls so that they can be filled with the mixture for a hearty sandwich
- You can sprinkle some green onion over the cooked mixture for more color and a zestier flavor
- If your family likes things on the spicy side you can add a dash or two of Tabasco or Chili powder.
- The possibilities are endless for additional ideas for this great one skillet meal