In today’s stressful world, the importance of relaxation cannot be underestimated. Stress can lead to a variety of health problems that manifest in many ways, physically, pychologically and emotionally. being able to relax, on demand and at will, enables you to counter the negative effects of stress. So here’s a step-by-step guide on how to put yourself into a deeply relaxed state, enabling your mind and body to recharge so that the stress just dissipates, resulting in a calm state of mind, a feeling of well-being and an increase in physical energy.
1. Find somewhere relatively quiet, where you will be free from interruption for at least ten minutes.
2. Make yourself as comfortable as possible and close your eyes.
3. Concentrate on your breathing. Slow it down so that each breathing cycle (inhale/exhale) takes somewhere between 10-16 seconds.
4. While focusing on your breathing, accept the fact that any background noise you are hearing is just the irrelevant sounds of life going on around you.
5. In your head, start counting slowly from one to ten. With each number, tell yourself that your body is putting itself deeper and deeper into a relaxed state.
6. When you reach the number ten, tell yourself that when you return from this relaxed state, you will feel calm, refreshed and energised.
7. Allow your thoughts to wander wherever they want to go.
8. Stay in this relaxed state for at least ten minutes When the time comes to bring yourself out of it, count backwards from ten to one.
9. Open your eyes and feel the difference!
As well as feeling much less stressed than you did before you performed this relaxation exercise, you will probably find that colours will be brighter, sounds will be sharper and your whole body will be tingling with a renewed energy. Congratulations, you’ve learned how to relax!!