Many guitar players only know how to play their instrument but there are times that they forget to clean and maintain their guitar’s appearance. It is essential to take good care of the guitar’s main parts; where the main components for creating tunes and sound are located. The frets and strings need to be maintained regularly to keep them from loosing their tune and form. Here are some tips on how to take good care of the guitar.
1. Polish and clean the fingerboard of the guitar at least every six months. A person may use a soft cloth and apply lemon oil on the bridge and the fingerboard of the guitar. This will keep them from drying out when they are not in use. Always handle the guitar with care when cleaning it.
2. It is important to adjust the truss rod when he changes the string gauge of the guitar. The strings tension may vary if there is a constant change of the climate. The tension tends to tighten if the weather is cold and if the climate is humid, the strings tend to loosen.
3. He may adjust the saddle by using a little piece of cardboard that will raise the strings vertically or he may remove the shims to lower its height.
4. When the guitar is transported, it is important that the strings be loosened. It is essential to pack the peg-head portion of the case with towel or a piece of clothing to protect the body of the guitar.
5. The frets should be polished or he may use a fret dressing that will remove any cloth or lint (from packing materials) remaining on the frets; this may vary with the type of cloth the owner uses to pack his guitar.
6. He needs to make sure to snug the tuners twice a year. Tuners tend to loosen automatically because they are made of wood or metal that creates contraction at different rates. He must be careful not to over tighten the knot to avoid any cracking on the peg-head.
7. He must remember not to carry the guitar with the luggage. There are airlines that allow a person to carry a guitar along with him on the plane. He should not forget to call before going to the airport to confirm that they will allow him to “carry on” his guitar.
Taking good care of the instrument is essential to maintain its features. A person must always realize that he should not only know how to play the instrument but should also know how to take good care of his guitar as well.