500 gm boneless skinless chicken breast, 500 gm Chinese-style steamed noodles or cooked thin egg noodles, 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, 1 tablespoon minced ginger, 1/2 cup thinly sliced onions, 3 large dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked and thinly sliced, 2 cups green onions- cut into quarters, 2 teaspoons sesame oil ,3 cups bean sprouts, tightly packed, black pepper to taste
Method of preparation:
1. Combine the chicken and marinade ingredients. Mix well and set aside.
2. Blanch noodles in large amount of boiling water for one minute, or as per package instructions.
3. Heat over broiler to medium-high. Broil noodles for about 5 minutes on each side, until crisped, but not burned.
4. Meanwhile, heat wok over high heat, add stock and bring to boil. Add ginger, onions and mushrooms and cook for one minute. Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes (if using green onions, cook for only 30 seconds).
5. Remove from heat and stir in bean sprouts. Season with pepper. Pour chicken mixture over noodles and serve.
3 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in hot water to soften, 2 egg whites, 1 egg, 6 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth, 1 package spinach, stems removed, washed and drained (or substitute frozen leaf spinach, thawed and drained), 1 packet noodles- cooked, 1 to 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 1 teaspoon, balsamic vinegar, Tabasco- to taste , 250 gm firm Chinese-style tofu cut into small cubes, freshly ground white pepper to taste
1. Drain the mushrooms, remove and discard the stems, cut them into small pieces, and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, bring the broth to a boil; add the spinach and cook until just wilted, stirring often. Add the mushrooms and noodles and cook just to heat through.
3. Season the soup with soy, vinegar, and Tabasco. Add the tofu and pepper and stir just to heat through.
4. Scramble the egg whites and egg together and while the soup is simmering, stir it with a fork in one hand and gradually pour the egg mixture into the soup in a stream, scrambling constantly.
5. Serve the soup immediately.