Shilajit is one of the most important drug of Ayurvedic medicine systems. In the raw form it is a bituminous substance, which is a compact mass of vegetable organic matter composed of dark red gummy matrix. It is bitter in taste, and its smell resembles cow’s stale urine. The botanical name of Shilajit is Asphaltum.Traditionally people use it with pure milk to enhance energy, sexual and spiritual power.Shilajit contains 84 types of minerals in natural ionic form which are very vital for maintaining the equilibrium of energy metabolism in our body. The minerals in Shilajit are not similar to the mineral supplements available in market. These minerals are in ionic form and have previously been absorbed by rich plant life and returned back to earth. So they are easily absorbed by the body cells.
Uses Of shilajit:The following health properties are found in Shilajit:
1. It helps accelerate processes of protein and nucleic acid metabolism and stimulates energy providing reactions.
2. It counteracts Diabetes and regulates the blood sugar level. Purifies blood, improves functioning of pancreas and strengthens digestion.
3. It reduces fat, dissolves tumours, and counteracts thirst.
4. It promotes the movement of minerals, especially calcium, phosphorous, and magnesium into muscle tissue and bone.
5. It stimulates the immune system and improves restoration (recovery) after exercise.
6. It increases levels of growth hormone in diabetic patients and is a potent anti-ulcer agent.
7. It improves functioning of the heart.
8. It lessens general weakness and enhances sexual performance.
9. It is highly nutritive and can be taken as anti-oxidant. It also revitalizes body cells and muscles.
10. It is also anti-asthmatic and can be used as an anti-allergen and an anti-stress agent.