Charge your energy meter at midday
Your cuppa coffee or tea saw you through the morning and the work pressures and deadlines kick-started your day, but now the sun is above your head and your energy meter is down.
Drained of all your power you reach out for the nth cup of caffeine to jack up your body metabolism…oh! no that’s the worst thing you can probably do to yourself.
If that’s what you’ve been doing, then read on to know the healthy ways of recharging your energies with natural foods. It’s quick, it’s simple and doesn’t take much time but gives you huge dividends in terms of good health and energy!
1. Carry a fruit of your choice to increase your energy immediately
Simple and very effective. Carry a fruit–apple, mangoes, plums, pears, peaches, jamun, cut papaya, even cucumbers, if you can manage and gorge on it at midday to get back the energy to keep going. It is better than a doughnut or a cup of coffee.
2. Stay away from heavy lunches
The worst mistake you can make is to gorge on that pasta or a huge pizza,Chicken burger or a footlong for lunch. Not only does it slow down your body metabolism, it makes you feel drowsy. If you cannot afford to have a power nap in your office, steer clear of all high-carb, high-fat food at lunch time.
3. Go for a smoothie or the good’ol yoghurt
The people in the Armenian mountains are known to have the longest lifespan and unsurprisingly their main food is yoghurt! Today it is commercially available in packed plastic bowls in an assortment of flavours, chose the one you like the most. For a complete mid-day meal, couple it with a fruit of your choice to make a great smoothie that will keep you going for the rest of the day.
4. Die-hard Carb fan
For those of you (and there will be lots!) who cannot do without their burgers or sandwiches at lunch time must at least try and avoid rich, spicy food. Stick to a roti, some yoghurt, a bowl of dal, preferably something light like moong dal and salad. Idlis and sambhar is a nice and light mid-day lunch when you are really hungry. Whole wheat bread and fibre-rich crackers are also easily available at all departmental stores as an easy-to-munch afternoon snack option.
5. Go Green- Go salad green !
Check out different salad bars during your lunch time, if you are ordering from outside! Some restaurants give you a complete combo meal like salads, wheat bread and a smoothie or flavored yoghurt. Don’t get stuck with something boring, try out different fruit and fish salads, tuna and veggie salads, change your choice of toppings and salad dressings to add some jazz to your energy rich food!
6. Keep yourself stocked
Avoid getting completely famished before you order, you are more likely to order for high calorie, high fat junk food. Keep crackers( biscuits), nuts ( almonds, cashews, dried apricot or whole wheat soup sticks to chew on when hunger pangs strike. You could even opt for roasted channa,( grams) peanuts or even popcorns to increase your energy levels, midday.
7. Energy bars in emergency ONLY!
As much as I would like to, I can’t ask you to gorge on those so-called energy bars, because one isn’t enough and two or more send your calorie meter up. Once in a while, when instant energy is required and there’s absolutely no time to eat, grab an energy bar- preferably the one with peanuts, it will keep you going for long.
8. Protein mix- another option
Many brands sell instant energy boosters in powered form, which are nothing but protein powders. Although they sound good and do give your metabolism a jump-start, it is better to ask a doctor before taking one. Mother nature has so much to offer, it’s best to be natural and eat wholesome fruits and drink nice fruit smoothies or shakes rather than gp for these protein shakes ; although once in a while are fine.
9. Water – the magic elixir
Lastly, Keep yourself hydrated. Drink loads of water and see your energy levels soaring up.This simple rule will also help you fight
- Keep your cool ( literally!)
- Give you a smooth skin
- Lower your chances of getting acidity
Tips to energize yourself at noon:
- Fix yourself a yummy fresh fruit and veggie salad at night and put it in the refrigerator. It takes just a few minutes everyday. Otherwise carry a whole fruit.
- Avoid heavy lunches, stick to a vegetable or a tuna or chicken sandwich instead.
- Keep citrus fruits like oranges, sweet lime, even grapes in your lunch box. They are known to have this quality of revving you up instantly and making you feel fresh and energetic.
- When you really want to eat junk food order sensibly and in small portions and drink plenty of water before the pizza or butter chicken comes in.
- Keep some healthy snacks handy, like nuts, crackers, etc.
- Don’t come to a point of getting famished. You tend to make wrong food choices when hungry.
- Shift to Iced tea or black tea, if you are addicted to your cuppa!
- Avoid coffee or sodas as an energy booster, it is only temporary and makes you feel even worse afterwards as it dehydrates your cells.
- Drink, Drink, Drink……….loads of cool, sparkling water to keep your energy levels high.
Relax, enjoy your work and eat sensibly, it doesn’t take long to pick up healthy food, off the shelf. Make a healthy choice today and give yourself a shot in the arm of long lasting energy!