The French press, or press pot, has long been hailed at the best way to make incredible home made coffee. It is easier to use than many think, and these simple instructions will help you to brew perfect French press coffee in no time!
Before you begin, you will need the following: French press (also known as a press pot), coffee grinder, fresh whole coffee beans (or preground beans if you do not have a grinder at home. Make sure to grind at a coarser setting), and a kettle.
1. Make sure the French press is clean and dry. Remove the plunger from the pot.
2. Use coarsely ground coffee, 1 tablespoon for every 4 oz. of water, and place in the bottom of the press pot. If the coffee is ground too fine, the plunger will not catch all the grounds, resulting in grainy coffee.
3. Bring the appropriate amount of water to a boil. An electric kettle is best for this. Once boiled, pour the water into the French press, making sure to saturate all the grounds evenly. Do not fill the pot entirely!
4. After 1 minute, stir the grounds in the pot. This allows for maximum flavor and extraction of the coffee. Then let steep for another 4 minutes, placing the press and lid on top but not pushing down. This prevents heat from escaping.
5. After 4 minutes, slowly push the press down toward the bottom of the pot. Be gentle but firm.
6. Your coffee is now ready! If you have made extra, do not let it sit in the French press, and instead put it in a hot beverage carafe or other container.
Tips to remember:
Grinding fresh, whole beans will give better taste than using pre-ground coffee.
Investing in a high quality burr grinder is suggested and will help perfect your coffee!